It all began in 1879 at the Buckner Orphans Home, when row houses on the edge of the campus provided both retired pastors and missionaries who served as grandparents for the home’s children a place to live in dignity and comfort.
Over the years, our mission to minister to the needs of young and old alike expanded. By 1954 Buckner opened its first retirement community, the Mary E. Trew Home in Dallas; followed by the opening of Buckner Baptist Haven in Houston. In 1966, the Buckner Ryburn Nursing Center was added to the Mary E. Trew Home in Dallas and the community became Buckner Retirement Village – still proudly serving Dallas-area seniors.
In 1970, Buckner Villas in Austin became part of the Buckner family. Buckner Westminster Place in Longview opened as an Independent Living community in 1996, and in 1998, Parkway Place in Houston opened, replacing Buckner Haven.
The fifth Buckner senior living community, Calder Woods in Beaumont, opened officially in October 2000. In 2010, Buckner Retirement Services and Baptist Memorial Ministries affiliated with each other bringing Baptist Retirement Community, San Angelo, TX and The Woodlands, Burnet, TX into the BRS family of retirement communities. With the addition of these two communities, BRS provides a host of senior living options in seven locations across Texas.
In all that time, we’ve continued to refine, renovate and update our settings, programs and services to meet the needs of each new generation of residents. But one thing hasn’t changed – our faith-filled commitment to providing them with a rewarding way to live – and the highest quality of living.